The 1980s was a decade of big hair, bright colors, and bold fashion choices. The fashion of the 1980s clothes was truly unique, and it continues to influence contemporary style trends. For many British people, the fashion of the 1980s is synonymous with the controversial style of Margaret Thatcher, the country’s first female Prime Minister.
1980s fashion in the UK:
- While Thatcher’s own style was more subdued than that of her fashion-forward daughter, Carol, she nonetheless helped to popularize trends like power dressing and shoulder pads. The styles of the 1980s were also influenced by the growing popularity of music videos and television shows like Miami Vice.
- With its bright coral reefs and pastel sunsets, Miami provided a colorful backdrop for the fashionable individuals who populated its beaches and nightclubs. This aesthetic was reflected in the popular clothing styles of the time, which featured brightly colored shirts and shorts, as well as tight-fitting jackets and jeans.
- In addition to Miami Vice, other 1980s TV shows like Dynasty and Dallas also had a significant impact on fashion. These shows popularized designer labels like Versace and Chanel, as well as certain style staples like big hair and sequins.
What people wore back then:
While some trends, like shoulder pads, have come and gone, others, like skinny jeans, are still going strong. So what did people wear in the 1980s? Here’s a look at some of the most popular trends.
- Shoulder pads: One of the most iconic looks of the 1980s, shoulder pads were worn by both men and women.
- Skinny jeans: Skinny jeans first became popular in the 1980s, and they are still going strong today.
- Bright colors: Neon colors were all the rage in the 1980s, and they were often used to make a statement.
The popular styles and trends:
- The most popular style for men is the classic look. This includes a button-down shirt, slacks, and a blazer. The shoes are usually loafers or dress shoes.
- For women, the most popular style in terms of 1980s clothing is the little black dress. This is a simple, elegant dress that can be dressed up or down. The shoes are typically high heels.
- Other popular trends include skinny jeans, leggings, and yoga pants. These can be paired with a variety of tops, including tank tops, t-shirts, and sweaters. scarves and hats are also popular accessories.
In the 1980s, British people were known for their distinctive sense of style. The punk and new wave movements were in full swing, and fashion icons like Princess Diana and Madonna were setting trends. bright colors, bold patterns, and big hair were all popular. Whether you choose to go for a neon green dress or a pair of hot pink skinny jeans, bright colors are sure to make you stand out from the crowd.